Friday, October 10, 2008

Why Hybrids Don't Make Sense For The Average Driver

You can't really have a conversation about environmental vehicles without talking about the hybrids. When they first came out they were a tax writeoff, they are allowed in HOV lanes with only one occupant and they are seen as a status symbol in many socially conscious circles. Being and auto mechanic, I was initially intrigued by this new technology, but hesitant to spend the money, instead purchasing a subcompact - and I couldn't be happier!

My 2004 Kia Rio manual transmission base model gets better mileage than most of the hybrids out there today. I get 300-350 miles before I put 8-9 gallons in the tank doing about a 80/20 highway/city mix. I drive about 5000 miles per year now, but used to drive more, and over the years spend about $50.00 per year doing all the work myself. I also have a 1997 Honda CR-V that only comes out in the snow or when I really need to move something large or heavy. I put about 500-1000 miles per year on that vehicle depending on the winter and how many large items I need to pick up. That vehicle gets about 23-25 MPG, but it varies with how much the 4x4 engages and how much weight I carry in it. Even if I had more money, I wouldn't change my cars. My beat up 12 year old mini-SUV still gets the job done and you can't find a car out there to top my Rio in total cost and I don't like to be wasteful.

But why not buy a hybrid? Check out this study which did a comparison of they Toyota Yaris and Prius and found the same thing I did - the Yaris wins. Another good, inexpensive fuel sipper is the Chevrolet Aveo or the Honda Fit. With the average hybrid, you are already starting about $10,000-15,000 or more in the red versus a gasoline subcompact. Then you can get anywhere from the high 40's to the low 20's in gas mileage with a hybrid. Yes, the low 20's - at 21 MPG the Lexus 600h L, GMC Yukon and Chevrolet Tahoe actually get LOWER gas mileage than my ancient CR-V! At 24 MPG the Lexus GS450h comes in a tie. At 39 MPG in real world average with a mix of my husband and I at the wheel, my Rio leaves all but the Toyota Prius and the Honda Civic Hybrid in the dust. By saving only a few miles per gallon, you never catch up. I have done 2 calculators putting my personal specs versus the hybrid and found both times that I come out losing thousands over the lifetime of the vehicle. Even factoring in a resale value (much better with the hybrid) it would take 15 years according to this calculator for the average person to break even on the hybrid (Prius vs custom setting for my Rio) - since I am a technician doing my own work it would take me a staggering 32 years by the calculator to push into the black. Even at 32 years the Prius would save me only $55 and only after I managed to sell it for $11,713.09. If it went to the scrapyard, I would literally never manage to catch up. The additional costs of taking the Prius to the shop yearly would exceed my yearly fuel savings and push me further and further into the red each year.

But who cares - the money is going to good use, right? It's going to protect the environment and even if it only a small amount of carbon, it's still some. While I can't argue with that, I can argue that with an initial $12,500 savings (don't forget the interest, which would bump that up even more) and a little more each year, I could do a whole lot more. Surely an on demand water heater ($600), 95% efficiency furnace ($1000 if you can install yourself), energy star refrigerator ($600), energy star combo washer/dryer ($700), energy star windows ($1000 for my house self installed) and a rain water collection system ($200) would save more energy. And there's still a ton of money left over - maybe forget the efficiency and use solar panels instead because for the same amount of money I could save over the course of 10 years buying a gasoline subcompact over a Prius I could put solar panels on my roof and say goodbye to the electric company. Then I could go about switching my furnace and stove to electric and save a whole lot more than a few miles per gallon.

Maybe someday a technology will come out that will free us entirely from the oil dependence that sickens our planet and empties our pockets. I don't think that technology is here yet, and I don't think even were it to be developed that the oil companies would let it out without a fight. I've even heard some conspiracy theories about a water driven car that was designed, worked, and destroyed by the upper 2%, but I have not had the time to really research it. When I do, I'll be sure to write an entry either supporting or debunking it. But until such a time as a solidly good cost saving technology is developed and made affordable, I will continue exploring more effective (and cost effective) means of environmental preservation.

No comments: